Trying again for Maundy Thursday


Oh man I accidentally published the last post entitled, "Maundy Thursday." I don't even know what Maundy means let alone have any actual composed thoughts about vulnerability.

When I saw that the post went out I kind of freaked out.  "Oh no! That wasn't supposed to be public yet!  Shoot. I wasn't sure what I was saying..." I came back to the blog to delete it and ultimately decided to leave it be.

We were on our way to church and it seemed like a pain.

What I wanted to say, I think, was that the power of Jesus washing the feet is that Jesus has so much power.  And in his power he invites people to be their vulnerable messy selves.  And with his power He washed their messes.

I don't think that gesture is so much about about sin.
I think it is about mess.
Life is messy and complicated.
In fact, most sins are messy and complicated.

Life is vulnerable and sometimes painful.
Just as Jesus sits at table with people and tells stories and laughs he sits with them in their messes and vulnerabilities.

When we got to Holy Thursday service I was sitting  meditating in a (actual!!) quiet moment and I thought of the parts of my body I wouldn't want God to wash.  My tender ankle- I don't want anyone to touch ever.  I thought of Sean caretaking my surgical incision post c-section.   And I had an image of God kissing that incision.  A gentle mother/sister/daughter/friend God beholding my wound and not simply washing it clean but drawing close.

That image, of God kissing my surgical wound is visceral. I am uncomfortable even posting it.  (which maybe should be a red flag) Maybe that is exactly what the profoundness of the footwashing is.  That is is uncomfortably vulnerable, physical, and gross.

God is in THOSE places with us.
The vulnerable.
The Physical.
The Gross.

And in that place (among others that are easier to accept) God is there.  In her rich well of profound love.




Now,
On to the Cross.
(PS: Maundy comes from the word Mandatum- the Holy Thursday readings include the commandment, "Love one another as I have loved you.")

Comments

Popular Posts