Swift, Lord, You are not

 This poet, Kilian McDOnnell, is also a Benedictine Monk.  His poetry is often quite religious but deliciously nuanced.


Here is a poem, also the title of the collection it comes from:

SWIFT, LORD, YOU ARE NOT

(Quickly God causes his blessing to flouirish." Sirach 11:22)

THis is not my experience.
You are not God at the ready.

After you set off the big bang 
you invented light years, dawdling.

Dispatch you dropped down
the nearest black hole.

After the pyrotechnics of the start
you looked away, sabbathed.

When I think you are raising your arm
to stretch it out like Moses

so I can prevail over the Amalekites,
it is biblical sleight of hand.

Actually you are raising your arm
to fix an arrow on your bow

aimed at some interstellar gases,
storms on the sun.

Think less of galaxies
Think small.

Then, without the heavy equipment,
stoop and hasten to help me.


McDonnell, Kilian. Swift, Lord, You Are Not. St. John's University Press. Collegeville, MN.2003,  32.

Maybe because I am caught in my own slow proces right now.  

Comments

Popular Posts