3 faces of transition.

Some photos from our new digs:














My grumpy self:

So we now own a new (to us) home.  It is not shiny and new.  It isn't even shiny and old.   It's just kind of dirty and old. (With good bones and a lotta potential!)

We learned yesterday that most of the windows are painted shut, which explains why there is no fresh air and thus contributing to the funky smell.  Also, I broke one while trying to open them so whoops. There goes like $500.

 The gardens are all overgrown, which probably happens when a house is not occupied for months on end when those months are in the summer.

Nearly the whole interior of the house is also painted grey.  That's not so bad except that the flooring is cream colored shag carpeting so everything feels muted and lifeless.

 There are also no fire alarms or carbon monoxide detectors.  I bought 3.  So now, $89 later we can at least be safe.  

We had been there 3 minutes today when the dog nudged the door open and ran away.  Ugg. The dog.

It's also dirty.  Not gross slime dirty,  but the cabinets haven't been wiped out, their are dirty rugs in the garage etc.  When we look around I think we feel all the projects that need to happen more than we see the immediacy of what we like.  Oh, and none of our stuff is in it either!

-----

Happier me:

We have a house! We have a house!  I should paint before our stuff arrives! I should paint before the kids rooms happen! We have a house!!!

We are on the verge of having enough space and enough bathrooms and being in a neighborhood.

In fact, I discovered a mutual friend of a friend lives in the same neighborhood! We have a lot in common and hopefully we can make a go of this friendship thing!

----

Sad me:

I don't want to get an Indiana drivers license.  I literally don't want that identity.  I don't want to call myself a hoosier.  I am feeling baggaged and judgmental.  I get into these sad sad loops of trying to figure out why I got laid off.  . . and how I could have made it not happen.  I get super sad about not working and freak out.  Then I casually go get my kids from school without having to shuffle childcare or get home too late from work.

I miss our friends
I miss having a home.
I miss our island.
I miss identity...




Comments

  1. Welcome to the Midwest Sean, Rachel, Junia, Miriam and Thomas. Be patient with yourselves and each other as you make this transition. We love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts