Speechless.

I spent too much time reading the news yesterday.  I spent WAY too much time sunk into the current president's deconstruction of civil liberties and respectability.  I am so distressed.  I know that many are distressed and that I am not special in this.  In so many ways I have been able (if I wanted) to put my head in the sand.  But this president is not good for this country's people.

I am wondering, and I would love your sense of this, who is actually hopeful about this presidency?  Who, and we are talking people here, is actually feeling hope about what is happening in this country?

I suppose folks who are virulently anti-abortion (pro-life) are very hopeful about a possible supreme court nomination.  I cannot help though but wonder about the future of babies born to poor and desperate women and families? What support with they get? What healthcare? What assistance in eating? Diapering? and Educating their little ones?   Even if restricting of abortion laws brings you hope, what else?  How does a tax cut for the wealthy help? (when all the research shoes it doesn't help the economy)?  How does limiting education funding help people? What is so wrong with college? Or vocational training?

I am speechless at all of it.
I cannot tolerate the hatred of Muslims as a political stance.
I cannot tolerate the rhetoric of borders and us/them.
I cannot handle the distrust of reason and science.
I cannot force people back into closets.

Jesus (or Mary inspired by God and Hannah) proclaims from his very earliest existence that the strong will be brought down, the hungry will be fed......Perhaps that is my only source of hope in this political bullshit.

So this isn't exactly the Magnificat. But Mary's proclamation inspires me.

My soul shouts out that God is fucking awesome.
my spirit rejoices in God.
God finds even the lowliest of us beloved.
God has mercy on those who fear Him,
and even though I don't quite know what fear means in this context,
I know this is an unending promise.
God is strong.  
She has scattered the proud in their conceit.
She has cast down the mighty from their thrones, or their oval offices, or their corporate offices, or whatever their throne of privilege is.
and she has lifted up the humble.

God has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.

He has come to the help of the oppressed and voiceless.
for he has remembered his promise of mercy, (because God is not a jerk and has a good memory)
the promise he made to our ancestors,

Comments

Popular Posts