Plus size- plus a fetus.

As a "plus-sized woman" I could rant about plus sized clothing for awhile. But I'll spare you. Or at least I'll frame it better than just leaving it so general. So now that I am 20 weeks pregnant it's about time I get some maternity pants. My mid-section is feeling pretty uncomfortable and I don't want to ruin all the pants I do have.

So last night Sean and I went to target to get some maternity pants that I could wear to work. But wait. Target doesn't carry maternity pants for plus sized women. So off we go to JCPenny's- because I know that JCPenny's at least has online options. But in the store they have NOTHING for plus sized pregnant women. So now I am forced to go online and buy some clothing that I don't know if it will fit right- or feel right.

As a plus size woman I was totally unsurpised by the reality that stores just avoid an entire population of women it's not uncommon. And pregnant plus size women are an even smaller minority of a group that most of the world would like to see as asexual. But what was really interesting is how pissed off Sean was- on my behalf. For his eyes on my situation- for his righteous anger (and for thinking I could fit into the pants they did have!) I am grateful.

I also won't bother to expound too much out how experiences like this must be commonplace for people with disabilities, literacy struggles etc. I just wanted to point it out.

Done.

Comments

  1. Some Motherhood stores have a plus size section. The clothes aren't the highest quality in the world, but wear well and they have some variety!
    But don't get me started on finding nursing bras in bigger sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh.
    it's likely that someone said "plus size" women can just buy pants in a bigger size(i mean, don't they all wear stretchy pants anyway??). you could really use that same dismissal for "petite" and "average" size women as well, if that's the case. (but then, of course, there's no market for maternity wear)
    "experiences like this must be commonplace for people with disabilities, literacy struggles etc." and what's sad is that, like you, these marginalized populations probably aren't surprised anymore either. angry and sick about it, but not surprised. i should think about that the next time i have to go to a special store to pay a ton of money for a bra in my size, but my own shallow frustration probably won't let me.
    remind me of this the next time i talk about wanting to design maternity clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts