The Grind

Monday, which is probably the day that you read this, I go back to work. So me and my 8 week old head off to High School. On some level I am grateful for any time at all, knowing that many of the poor in our world have to go back only days after they have babies and have to rely on family and friend and at best unlicensed daycare workers for childcare. I will be brining Junia until the end of this semester if I can still manage to get work done. On the other hand I find it furious that the only support our government (and thus WE) gives new parents and babies is 12 weeks off with the promise that you get your job back.

I don't know the ins and outs of the Family Leave Act but it seems to me that our government should be invested in having healthy well adjusted successful families. Would this contribute to less crime, better students, better workers, more educated people, and physically healthier people among other things. So why isn't our government (WE) acting on this? Why aren't we demanding that parents and families are given more options more support or at least more understanding (this is really freaking hard).

The long and short if it is that I don't want to go back to work tomorrow. Junia still wakes up at least 3 times a night and I am expected to go to work and not sleep? Balancing breastfeeding and retreat leading poses an unfair challenge. This is bullshit. But, economics demands that I start earning a paycheck as it does for many families. Honestly, I don't think I would want to stay home full time but it would be nice to have some options along a continuum.

So be it...off to High School.

Please look at ALL the other countries that are offering some paid leave. We are a sad sad country.

Comments

Popular Posts