So many ideas...

I am an ideas person. At any given moment I have 7 really good ideas for projects, programs, or things that need to exist in the world.  It is no surprise that many of these ideas are related to ministry, I am, after all, impacted by the things I think about.

In my working life having many ideas has been almost universally helpful.  When the question is: "How do we engaged X group of students?" I have 7 ideas that are all REALLY different about how to engage X group of students.  Weighing out the pros and cons of the ideas is half the fun.  Also, I think that being an "ideas person" makes me less attached to ideas and programs as they exist.  Generally I am interested in change and in letting to of things that aren't working very well.

If being an ideas person has been almost universally helpful at work it is now less so at home.   In fact, I think that being an "ideas person" and being a stay at home parent are in pretty sharp conflict.   So now I have a bunch of ideas about ministry and family life, but VERY little time, energy or direction to manifest them.

I have an idea for a family/faith related podcast but when and where am I supposed to do that, pay for that, plan that etc.  I have an idea of a parenting support group for parents who are having their children baptized. . . .who am I supposed to work with on this and where am I going to have the time.  I have about 4 ideas for books that clearly need to be written! Again, where, when, and how am I supposed to do that.

Even ideas about family life are everywhere: epiphany party, craft projects, presence I am going to give etc- but also laundry and the dishwasher needs cleaned out and all THE THINGS.

Oh people are quick to encourage me.  But, I don't need "go do it" encouragement.  I am an ideas person...I need editing and focus and something that functioned the way that colleagues function in life... I need to sort out what the goals are for my family and for this idea or that idea.  Some of these ideas are also just fantasies so I don't have to live in the hard parts of my life.  They are my escape mechanism...Being an "ideas" person is also being a fantasy person.  It is sometimes easier to just get a new idea or a new vision rather than work through what isn't working about the old ideas and old vision.


Comments

Popular Posts