What if we are good?

What if, in fact, we are compassionate and generous beings who sometimes stray out of that but who mostly are giving.

What if, we are also all doing the very best that we can.

What if we are all so deeply connected as people, as peoples, that our fears are the fears of the sick, the fears of the vulnerable, the fears of all the fear that is around and we cannot help but pick it up, that is sense it around us, and respond as best we are able.

What if being human is mostly generous and gentle?

I offered our neighbor toilet paper the other day.  We have hardly spoken, our lives don't cross much, but she posted on social media that the trip to the store was lacking.  Turns out she didn't need them.

Today I started a piecing together a quilt for my fetus which is something I didn't know if I even wanted to make.  We have plenty of baby blankets.  I didn't do it because I was bored.  I think I just wanted to offer something beautiful to someone I am learning to love...and right now my world is so small that, in fact, this little fetus, is actually the stranger I am most in relationship with.

I just think that people are creative and fun and funny.  People are generous and amazing.  The system we operate in doesn't cultivate that in us.  It doesn't ask that of us.  We aren't asked to develop and explore these virtues.  So we don't.

And I don't really wish to have rose colored glasses, or be some pollyanna, but I have to look for the goodness.  Because it's around.  It really is.

Thank you...to those who are finding and sharing their goodness.


Comments

Popular Posts