The Noise of Summer

We were in the midwest a couple of times this summer.  Each time we travel there in the summer I remember just how loud the soundtrack of nature there is.

You would not believe how loud the crickets & cicadas are.  We would be in a small city or town and still the bugs are blaring away.  I grew up with the racket of loud bugs but I have forgotten them.

Here in the PNW summer is so quiet.  In fact, sometimes at night I can hear the deer walking around in our yard eating the leaves off the trees.  I can hear the hum of the ferry 2 miles away...

Today, though I was putzing around outside, a light shower started.  Ah, the noise of nature again.  Hearing the rain lay itself on the leaves and dry earth.  The noise jumped into me.  Soothed something in me.



Comments

Popular Posts