Blessed be sleep.

Will there come a time when I will romanticize about this?

As the time approaches midnight Miriam and Sean are asleep on either side of me and I am awake.  Junia in the other room, a deer outside stepping quietly on some leaves, and I am awake.

This is the stuff of having young children.  Last night I was up 3 or 4 times.  Barely conscious and nodding off as Miriam nursed I dreamed of sleep and work and other sleep filled nonsense.

So if you are one of those people who is not in the thick of dealing with sleepless nights. Know the blessing of sleep. Honor the blessing of waking up by your own clock. Breathe in gratitude of finished dreams and chosen tiredness.

I for my part, will honor this place in my life.  For the abundance of baby laughter and someone's adoring eyes.  I will remind myself of the privilege of this terribly embodied state, the sweet gift that 4am silence can be, and the wonder of nights when my sleep cycle is the same as Miriam's.






Comments

Popular Posts