Is God a palindrome?


FYI- I lost my computer/camera cable- thus you are stuck with an internet picture of a dog that looks almost exactly like Maggie.

So I have been slowly entering into the spirit of Advent. As Sean and I have been lighting our candles and intentionally praying for others and reflecting on God's work in our lives Maggie- our dog has come up.

Okay, so I am not convinced that Maggie is God. . .But this season Maggie is somehow pointing me to God in some way. Sean and I are very experienced at high minded theological discourse(at least compared to your average person)so comparing the ways that the personality of God and the personality of our Golden Retriever. So I'll just spell out those ways.

Living in the present

Maggie has no ability to be anywhere but in the present moment. She does not possess any anxiety about the past or future. I believe that God is in the moment. Sure there is awareness of past and future but just as we are only living in the present God too is only really available to us in this moment right now.

Joy

Maggie is not bogged down by much. She is a tail wagging attention loving woofer. I think that God is joy. And though God can be great many other things I want to focus on the joy of God for this season.

Non-Judgemental

Maggie doesn't really care if I am fat or if I am lazy or if I am a wonderful cook or have read 10 books this month. My external labels just aren't relevant to Maggie- and they aren't to God.

Okay. This is an imperfect connection. I did want to present the idea though because it has been a great way for me to connect with God and my Dog the past couple days.

Comments

  1. Rachel! I just discovered you have a blog and I have read every single entry, and it reminds me of how much I love you and how much I appreciate your worldview. I can't wait to come visit you in Seattle and meet your husband and your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read this book.

    If you can't find it @ your library, let me know and I will loan you my copy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts