Things are growing

Things are growing and developing our our household. Sure our fetus is now happily gaining about 1/2 a pound a week (6 more weeks until full term!), but our garden is producing and things are setting in for some serious growth. . .




One of the delightful joys of this June has been our beautiful rose bush, in the front yard has taken over and bloomed bigger and better than almost any other rose bush that I have seen. It's on it's way out now but it sure is pretty. Also, Sean's wildflower patch has definitley taken root and is now just beginning to bloom a little.


Here is a morning glory- a signal that along with our garden the weeds are also growing vigorously. Despite itself this one has grown up in the crack of the concrete and climbed the fence. I'll leave it to bloom.


This isn't a great picture of me- but you can tell I look pregnant. 32 weeks I think is where we are at.





CORN
Our first bit of corn now stands around knee height. Though it's been that height for almost a week. I fear it has stalled out. What would cause that though? 2 other sections of corn have been planted and Maggie has done an alright job staying out of those. For some reason, she just loves running through that part of the yard. Grrrr. She is also super friendly with the neighbors and sometimes they are out in their back space- so she stands in the corn and greets them. Another grrr from me. I just can't imagine why the neighbors aren't as invested in my corn as I am!


POTATOES
We didn't actually plant potatoes. What we did was cultivate the soil that have some previous residents potatoes in it. They volunteered to come up- and since they did I've been tending them. They are doing great. I'm pretty sure they are red potatoes and will be pretty small as they are crazy close together.



Here's the longview from the patio. You can see that the garden is on the side of the yard along the fence the the neighbors. You can also see our 2 green compost cones.




TOMATOES
We'll several of our tomatoes collapsed under their own weight this week reminding me of the need to stake them or cage them. So we've begun the process of locking them up behind bars and demanding that if they produce fruit they will not just let it rot on the ground. We've probably got about 16 plants in the ground. All from seed- 3 varieties. Only a couple of flowers on them though. With the bigger ones, if they don't start flowering soon, I'm going to be a little more concerned.







LETTUCE
The lettuce has mostly past it's prime. After all, the 2nd picture indicates flowers. .. whoops. Our spinach was super yummy. I think we made a mistake though. Because it was so good we were saving it for the perfect meal. In the meantime, it kept growing. Now it is almost flowered and quite bitter. Our mesculin greens- which were bitter all along, grew beautifully and have started to flower also. Frankly, I think we are almost done with them. The pride and joy of our lettuce frontier has been the romaine. The flavor is amazing, the leaves a bit waxy, and the crunch just right. Frankly, I am digging our romaine. I fear we've only got about 2 weeks left with it.



So that's what's going on in our neck of the woods. Lots of garden stuff. After Monday I am officially on summer vacation and life will settle into different sorts of projects.

Comments

  1. Wow! Your garden looks so amazing! Ours is faltering a bit... our broccoli rahb went straight to flower without producing any leafy greens :-( Our blueberries are looking promising though!

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts