Sleeping on the Ground


Camping, when in our imagination (rather than reality) conjures up romantic images of listening to the quiet restlessness of nature, sitting by the fire, roasting marshmallows, maybe taking a dip in some gorgeous body of water, snuggling up in a nest of soft blankets and sleeping bags with your beloved.

But we all know how camping really is. The constant search for the flashlight, the marshmallow goop that is coming from somewhere that is all over your hands (hopefully not your hair), and finally the illusion of sleep. The ground is always much harder under your hips than it feels under your sneakers. You sleep little and wake up sore.

No, Sean and I have not been camping. But my hips have. The only hour I slept through last night was the 4:00 hour (3:45-5:35am I slept). I am waking up almost hourly to readjust, flip, fix pillows, pee, or just feel miserable. So move over round ligament pain my hips are in charge! My hips are killing me. On the 1-10 pain scale it's no soo bad. I'd only give it a 2. But if achiness get's it's own scale I give it a 7.

So measures I've taken to try to deal with this:
1. Hydration.
2. Tylenol before bed
3. Walks before bed
4. Some homeopathic remedy suggested by our midwife
5. Crying out of frustration
6. Pillows, Pillows, and more pillows- but frankly I am sick and tired of everyone suggesting pillows. They aren't pregnancy magic so shut the F*#@ up about pillows.
7. Sleeping sitting up
8. Massage.

I am up for other suggestions, things that worked for you? I am resorting to doing everything I can to just get this baby out of me- perhaps a novena? Another point of suggestion, don't tell me it's going to be worse with a newborn. That MIGHT be true- but at least once I have this kid I'll be sleeping really well during the few hours allocated for sleep.

Oh right, so the good news in all of this is that the hormone "Relaxin" (this hormone relaxes all your ligaments that keep your bones tight) is apparently taking affect and my pelvis is opening up to let this baby out. This explains why my tailbone and my pubic bone have been periodically shouting at me as well. The good news is my body and my spirit are both starting to work toward getting this baby out!

Comments

  1. Hang in there, friend. I have no useful advice for you and, in general, I'm not a fan of advice. So all I can say is: hang in there. The round ligament pain and the hip issues sound incredibly uncomfortable. I wish you a respite from the discomfort and a good night's sleep. I can't wait to meet your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, never been pregnant, but am a chronic hip pain expert. The difference, I guess, is that your body is doing what it's supposed to...

    Not sure what is ok or not with a fetus... Moist heat is pretty darn good, but it only stays hot so long. If it's safe, I also recommend the IcyHot patch. Won't actually affect those shifting bones, but the rest of the area will get a euphoric feeling that will distract you from the pain.

    Good luck. I hope that maybe some pain-less naps can find you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming from someone who's finally past this phase, I can say:
    1) I laughed out loud when I saw what you felt about pillows. I felt the same way---people need to stop suggesting them as 'magic' for pregnancy. Sadly, you're at that point in the pregnancy where nothing really works to make sleep comfortable.

    2) Depending on the kid you have, finding time to sleep after the little one arrives may be just as hard--but I think most times it's easier. Tristan has rough nights, but I still am able to get more sleep (in general) now that he's here than I was that last month.

    Hang in there. It does get better--and the baby will surprise you in ways you never imagined. It's much more fun than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts