"No worries"

Last night I had an anxiety dream that I went onto my blog and I only had 16 followers, "Oh no! I lost one!" What a wierd source of anxiety.


It has nothing to do with this post.

Okay, but the reason I sat down to type this post. Is that I was walking somewhere public and came fairly close to another person reaching the point that an "excuse me" was appropriate. The response was, "oh no worries." That actually seems appropriate. It's like saying, "oh it's fine that you were strangely close to me and making me uncomfortable."


I won't worry now because I have been freed to relax about being awkward.


But then, moments later someone graciously held the door for me. "Thank you," I said. Again the door helper said, "Oh no worries."


I just wonder, what is so wrong with "your welcome."

Saying, "no worries," implies that I am worried about how I might have impacted them when the held the door. Except that I wasn't worried. I was just grateful. Because I didn't ask them to hold the door for me. I am capable of taking care of the door myself. So why the need to say, "no worries."? I kind of feel like people steal my politeness when they say, "no worries."

I am not worried. I am just trying to thank you.

What do you think of this phrase?

Comments

  1. Would you feel the same about someone saying "no problem" for the door opening? I think people use "no problem" and "no worries" interchangeably, regardless of whether they're appropriate in the literal sense. Just think how many American idioms make no literal sense, eg. "how come?"

    Or maybe we're being invaded by Australianisms.

    Also, it's you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts