You are oppressing yourself

I just sat in a classroom of students who are buying into their own self-oppression.

I just sat in a classroom filled with girls who think it's okay to say to boys, "you run like a girl."

I just sat as my heart broke.

They do not believe that girls dress for boys.

They do not believe that they look pretty for boys.

I wanted to ask her why her shirts were so tight.

I wanted to ask her why her hair was dyed blonde,

I wanted to ask her why she curled her hair so perfectly.

I wanted to ask her why she thought the freckles behind that make-up were so ugly.

Who told her that boobs were great, blonde was best, frizz was out and freckles were bad.

And beyond that I wanted to ask each of them to pray.

To sit down and pray to God as mother. I wanted them to pray to her. I wanted them to imagine God as a Grandmother- and then to use she in the place of he. And, if they were bold enough. If they were not afraid to let down their guard, I wanted them to let their imaginations go wild.

Comments

Popular Posts