TWO: Poem by Ted Kooser

Months (perhaps years?)  I saw this lovely gem of a poem in the New Yorker. I wish I could cite the source and I know it is irresponsible not to- except that it has been on our fridge for so long that my memory of where it came from is gone...nonetheless...
It is a lovely outsiders view on love.  It is also a poem about the intimacy between a child and a parent.

TWO

On a parking-lot staircase
I met two fine-looking men
descending, both in slacks
and dress shirt, neckties
much alike, one of the men
in his sixties, the other
 a good twenty years older,
unsteady in his polished shoes,
a son and his father, I knew
from their looks, a son with his
right hand on the handrail,
the father, left hand on the left,
and in the middle they were
holding hands, and when I neared,
they opened the simple gate
of their interwoven fingers
to let me pass, then reached out
for each other and continued on.

-Ted Kooser


Sean and I spend a lot of our conversation time discussing parenthood itself.  For us we want to project ourselves into being parents of adult children and being aware of developing habits that foster intimacy now and beyond.  Something about this poem, and the obvious intimacy between Father and Son, the need of the father, the two men touching, the obviousness of that connection from the narrator is powerful to me....It is a poem about someone/thing I hope to become.


Comments

Popular Posts