Bladder problems- we've only just begun.

So as the sphincter in my stomach has started to work a little bit more normally (ie I am not throwing up at the drop of a hat though my heartburn seems endless) my bladder sphincter is on constant red alert. Though I knew that pregnancy involved needing to pee a lot. I was at least informed of this. So I was mentally prepared; I was not prepared to the way it would affect traveling, walking, sitting, sleeping and all else. The fact of the matter is I ALWAYS have a fairly urgent need to pee, and as this little person gets bigger the urge to pee goes right along with it.

This weekend, we were driving back from the Okanagan area of British Columbia (pictures forthcoming) and the little one within me was sitting on and kicking my bladder. Now, I'll give you that she is not a fierce kicker. These are nudges, reminders, and only periodic thumps. But nonetheless, it's my bladder we are talking about. My kidneys can handle it but the my bladder! This is of course while we are on a section of highway that was stopped because of road construction (literally they were closing and opening the highway every 30 minutes). When we finally got to a place to pee (an A&W Rootbeer place- very common in Canada) I could not stand up straight or walk quickly for fear that my bladder would be emptied by too much movement.

So why a posting about a bladder? Because I think when you are not in the midst of something you can forget the intensity of it. When you have the flu you feel bad but when you are healthy you forget exactly what that experience was like. Well, frankly I am in the middle of it now -remembering all the time and in the midst of a full bladder reminding myself to stay hydrated. . .but that's a whole other posting.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the Carpenters song that will be in my head until I fall asleep, at which point I will have some weird dream about being stuck in either traffic or a public restroom with Karen Carpenter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts