Where have all the grad students gone. . .

Just a short posting on an observation:

The last couple of weeks I had been getting a ton of comments on my blog postings. I was enjoying reading them, finding out who reads my blog, and just generally enjoying the quiet affirmation that seeing the "1 comment" thing at the bottom of a posting brings me.

But I've posted several postings (albeit the birdies posting was not my best!) with no response. So I've been musing on this change and tonight while taking a bath (do you know that bath time is a magical time for me?) I figured it out.

My friends (and family) who are grad students are now done with the hell that is paper writing. They are finished with their weeks on end of sitting at a computer. I remember being a grad student writing papers and putzing on the internet for hours (and sometimes days) on end I remember playing games online, cleaning out my inbox, responding to every college friends who ever emailed me all while typing in a sentence or two about the female founders of post great awakening protestant groups. And when those papers were finally turned in (I remember skipping through Harvard Square) I would, in fact, then abandon the world wide web for weeks or even months, my inbox would get all cluttered, and I would lose my online gaming skills. . .

So this is to my grad student readers. You'll be missed. Have a good summer- and when you log back on in September I'll introduce you to "Faith."

Comments

  1. I wish I were one of those grad students who was done already. :) Not so I would stop reading your blog but so I too could frolic in the streets. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...or it could just be 'hell week' time--I know I completely disappeared for about 2 weeks because I had a lot of papers to write, but alas grading to do as well.

    You never know--they may all resurface after the end of semester attack is over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts