Food for a very large event...Elephant stew perhaps?


Along the ugly stretch of our main thoroughfare to work is an Italian Bakery- Borracchini's. It is a relic of when our stretch of seattle used to be italian (Garlic Gulch they called it). S and I love to go in their and talk about the North End in Boston. It reminds us so much of all the bakeries and italian shops there.

ANyway, they have these GLORIOUS cookies their called, Brutta Ma Buoni. I cannot figure out how they are made and cannot find a recipe online that seems right (or worth using all the ingredients to find out) Oh, BTW, Brutta Ma Buoni means ugly cookie. They are chocolate chunks so I guess they aren't beautiful, but we Americans like our cookies sweeter and uglier than Europeans. Nonetheless, I might have discovered the recipe in my grandmother's treasury cookbook. No really, like the treasury of fun, silly, wonderful, delicious recipes from my Grandmother's cooking. Anyway, they have to chill for awhile so I'll let you know (probably without pictures since the camera isn't missing it's just not uploading photos).

In the meantime I wanted to leave you with the cover recipe to this book of goodies. It captures my family's sense of humor wonderfully.

Elephant Stew

1 Elephant (medium size)
2 Rabbits (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Brown Gravy (lots!)

Cut elephan into bite size pieces. Start early. Add gravy and cook until tender. Will serve 3,800 people. If more are expected add the rabbits. Do this only if necessary as most people don't like hare in their stew.

Comments

  1. My friend's grandmother recently died and she was going through her recipe box. She started reading me a funny recipe... Elephant Stew! I was very entertained by the thought of the Elephant Stew recipe making the rounds of people's recipe boxes during a certain period of time. I think Grandma Doll and Amy's Granny would have gotten along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "grandma doll cookbook" got put into storage until we move but this post makes me excited to pull it out again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts