Where to get cute fabric for cheap?


It seems like I can't get enough of Seattle goodwill. J is still sick. She has a smoker's cough, a very very raw nose and even though her fever is gone we feel like being at home where she gets 2 naps a day is better for her healing. Good thing it's a short and slow week for me.

I went in to work to grab a couple of things and for a meeting I was not going to miss at 8:00am. Well I knew that I was going to be at home today with a waddler and I've got Christmas presents on the brain and decided to stop by goodwill to see what their fabric selection was. For the most part their raw fabric options were bad---but their pillowcase and sheet options rocked! You don't need that much fabric for what I am hoping to make...

So even though I had to wait for her to take her second nap, she finally did and I'm delighted to show you the fabrics I found!

Now on another note, I have a question about Goodwill stores...and the like...are they made for people like me (middle class types) to shop in or when I shop their am I eliminating options for poorer people. I could technically afford to go to a fabric store and buy some fabrics, but I want a good deal as much as the next guy. I also want my less fortunate brothers and sisters to have options just like I do.

On the other hand, Goodwill stores (and the like) need income from shoppers in order to provide the training to their employees. If everyone who shopped their were low income rather than scavengers (like me:)) would they still be able to run with their business model.

Donations...I don't have any hesitations about that. Except, I do think it is unethical to use them as your trashcan or your junk removal rather than sending along actual donate-able items. It sure is tempting though!

Comments

  1. I get fabric at goodwill! Along with vases, picture frames, furniture, and baby clothes. And I don't think it's only meant for less fortunate people. Goodwill finds jobs for unemployed people, and, like you said, if only poor people shopped there I doubt they'd still be in business. Also, whenever I go there I ALWAYS see nice cars, BMWs, Audis, and Mecedes. It's not like they're checking pay stubs at the door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think shopping at Goodwill is 100% ethical - the stores are designed as revenue sources for Goodwill's job training programs, etc. They're for people who don't want to throw away perfectly usable things and for people who don't want to pay full price when there are perfectly usable used things available!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodwill is a fantastic organization, and I don't think you should feel guilty about bargain hunting there. Everything sold helps, as does every donation. When we're shifting seasons and clothing, we always give to Goodwill, with the mind that the things we don't want or need will be of better use to another. (I like to pretend that everyone else who gives to Goodwill is thinking the same thing, and thank them for passing on things that I can use.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think anyway, that I agree with your second aspect, that shopping at Goodwill as a middle-class (or even upper-class) person is ethical. Goodwill provide a valuable service in the community by providing training and jobs to those with developmental and other disabilities. And while the need of a private organization to provide those services is definitely a whole 'nother issue for debate, the service they are providing is both needed and worthy. I know both people who have received the services of Goodwill, and who have worked for Goodwill (as caregivers, trainers, educators etc. for those with disabilities) and have heard positive things from those on the "inside."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts